At Peachford, we understand the challenges and joys of being a parent. We also know that children don’t come with a manual for managing their emotional and mental health needs. We want to help.
By offering parenting classes for families of patients enrolled in our programs as well as families from the community, we help parents connect with their children through education and better understanding of a child’s emotional being. Our classes are based on the Systematic Training for Effective Parenting (STEP) program, which has 30 years of research supporting its effectiveness in improving family relationships.
- Four goals of misbehavior and responding vs. reacting to your child
- Personality development and how birth order influences personality
- The power of encouragement and how it differs from praise
- Communicating effectively through reflective listening and “I” messages
- Use of natural and logical consequences to discipline misbehavior
- Choosing the right approach by putting it all together
Parents of children ages 4 to 12
- Saturday mornings at 9:30 am
Parents of adolescents ages 13 to 18
- Tuesday evenings from 5:30-7 pm